Naloxone Guide for Law Enforcement Agencies in Tillamook County

All law enforcement agencies in Tillamook County have Naloxone (AKA Narcan) readily available for immediate deployment in the event of an opioid overdose in the field. Our goal is to reduce opioid overdose related harm and death due to avoidable delays in treatment by providing training, education and Naloxone to all law enforcement agencies in Tillamook County.

Training requirements: Training may be face-to-face, watching the OHA online training videos, or reading the OHA training protocol (pdf). While training is no longer required, it is recommended that staff learn how to use naloxone and to recognize signs of an overdose.

Law enforcement specific training video: The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office created a naloxone training video for law enforcement.

Reporting Requirements: If Naloxone is used in the field, fill out and give the Naloxone Reporting Form to your supervisor who will send it to Nicole Vertner at Adventist Health Tillamook for data input. The submission of this form will also start the replacement process for the Naloxone kit to your agency.



Statute: House Bill 3440 (Oregon Laws 2017, chapter 683) passed during the 2017 legislative session. Sections 1-3 of the bill removed the training requirements related to the lifesaving treatment naloxone. Previously, individuals were required to complete educational training and receive documentation proving authority to receive and administer naloxone. The administrative rules in chapter 333, division 55 pertaining to lifesaving treatment training are no longer relevant and need to be repealed. As of October 6, 2017, clinical oversight by a Medical Doctor (MD), Osteopathic Doctor (DO), Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician’s Assistant (PA) is no longer required, although it is recommended that a pharmacist or other healthcare professional be involved as needed for basic education on overdose and naloxone. Any prescriber or pharmacist can order naloxone for your organization.

Additional law enforcement specific information: Law enforcement agencies that need more information can contact Chris Gibson, Oregon-Idaho HIDTA Executive Director, at

Naloxone Guide Book from OHA:

Naloxone Guide Book